October wasn't the greatest.
It was hard.
One of the hardest.
We did not like October.
October did not like us, but we endured.
October did not like us, but we endured.
The kids and Michael were outside jumping on the trampoline. I was working on my wings for my halloween costume. I was actually wearing and admiring them in the mirror when I heard them run into the house. Michael was carrying our screaming boy, and I knew immediately something was very wrong. Nothing can prepare you for the feelings your heart endures when you see your children in pain. You can learn a lot about yourself in moments like those. You learn how you'll react under pressure, how brave you can be for your child, and how to breathe through the stress to be able to make sound decisions on their behalf.
We took Haiden to the clinic and were soon sent to the University of Iowa City. We didn't have the greatest experience. Michael wasn't able to make the hour drive with us because of work. One of the few drawbacks from this new job we endure is a distance issue. He has to be within a certain distance of the hospital, and U of I was too far especially at that moment when he was needed for an epidural. So, I put my best brave face on and tried to be strong for Haiden. We waited for nearly an hour before we were seen, another 45 for additional x-rays, and eventually we saw a doctor. Actually, we saw a few since it is a teaching hospital and then the feelings of unease set in. In a high stress moment, you need to believe the doctor knows what is best and that doctor will make the best decisions based on knowledge and training. It was soon decided Haiden would be put in a cast. My only small solace in this story is that I did verbally question this decision. "What about swelling? Is a splint not the better option in case he swells?" My answer was "No, that the cast would be the best decision." My gut told me different, and my regret is I didn't further question him. My other regret was coming to the U of I in the first place. But, I trusted the doctor over that gut feeling. I knew nothing about broken legs, and I was feeling helpless. Michael was finally able to join us in the ER after making arrangements at work and he too talked with the Doctor. Haiden was put in a cast, and we were sent home with no pain meds.
Our night was hell. Haiden grew more and more uncomfortable. By morning it was evident we would either be going back to a doctor to fix this or I would be knifing that cast off. We got in touch with our normal orthopedic doctor who told us to come in to his office. So after I had dropped the other kids off at school, Haiden and I left for Iowa City again. His cast was cut open to make room for swelling and his pain level went down instantly.
Haiden broke his upper tibia and had another fracture at his ankle. He had been jumping on the trampoline. The trampoline was pulled tight under the weight of the others jumping, and Haiden happened to land at exactly the wrong moment. I believe the tension of the trampoline released into Haiden's leg caused the damage.
In a fast moment, we now had 2 kids in casts.
Haiden can do hard things. He is my hero. I have watched him through this long, healing process and I have been amazed at his resilience and strength. He found a way to stay positive. He was on the couch for week in a splint, and then was put into another non-weight bearing cast. He used a wheel chair for the first few weeks at school, and braved the transfer from wheel chair to crutches. He understood he couldn't do most of the things he used to be able to do alone, and he endured.
After a week of bedrest the swelling was down and he was put in a new cast just in time for his class halloween party. It was great to see him smile-- he has a good group of friends here.
The same day Haiden got his second cast on, K was able to get her cast removed! We were all thrilled and things were looking up... Halloween was still around the corner and soon Gah and Gran nana would arrive.
The plan was for them to arrive the Saturday afternoon before Halloween and then we would go on a Ghost Train, but they ended up missing their connecting flight. We still had a great time at the Ghost Train, and much later that night I made the drive to the airport.
On the way to the airport, a deer ran into our van. I say deer, but the thing was a massive, beastly in size. I didn't even see it coming. The crash was loud and jarring. The van filled with smoke as the airbag deployed. Thankfully it was late so no other vehicles were around me. I managed to veer toward an exit ramp and that is were our mini v died.
3 exits away from my mom and grandmother.
3.
I called Michael and for the next 45 mins I waited for him to rescue me.
We eventually picked up my poor, worried mom and grandmother who had spent all day and now all night in an airport.
If anyone needs a running tally: we were at lice, broken arm, broken leg, and now totaled mini v.
But, my mom and grandmother arrived safely and halloween was still set for Monday!
No comments:
Post a Comment