Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Quick Breeze Over A Year of Clinical..Plus ;)

This time last year Michael was completeing his first week of clinical in Monitplier, Idaho.  Tomorrow evening will mark the end of the first week of his last clinical in Blackfoot, Idaho.  It's been an entire year of learning and growing for both him and me.  He has learned skills and gained clinical experience needed for his career.  I know he has made friends among his class mates and pushed past comfort zones.  I have learned how to be more independent than I ever have been before with kids at my side.  I know I can move to a new state, with barely any or no family, and make it while Michael is away during the day.  I relearned how to make and keep friends.   I've learned more about being a mother and through this entire experience I believe I am a better mother for it.


We arrived in Utah with only what could fit in our honda civic in December of 2008.  It wasn't much at all.  One big blanket, a few pillows, a basket full of toys for haiden, and our clothes.  Haiden was one year and a half old.  We had plans for Michael to work as travel nurse until school started that fall, but ended up getting the feeling that we should forgo traveling.  We moved to an apartment close to Salt Lake and Westminister College, and Michael began working as a nurse at the University of Utah. (*How he got that job is another story worth telling; maybe I'll tell it later. What I will say is that moving here with hardly any possessions and relying on faith was a humbling experience.)


He began school almost 2 years ago in the fall of 2009.  It was hard work and I remember him studying and studying.  There were times where he would go to school, come home, and jump right into studying.  Money was tight.  Once school began, he quit working and we began living off loans.  I became pregnant with Kailey in June 2009-- planned, if anyone was wondering.  We celebrated Haiden's 2nd birthday in Utah which was themed after all the shows he enjoyed watching at the time.  Before we knew it, Michael was nearing the end of book work part and beginning of the clinical part of school.  We decided to move closer to Keri, which was the only family we had in Utah at the time, and we ended up in Orem.  It turned out to be a great move.  Kailey arrived in March of 2010. A beautiful, healthy little girl who definitely keeps us on our toes.  We adjusted to having two kids and soon after Michael's clinical began.  Montiplier, Idaho-- It was nice.  Michael had to be away a lot during the week, but we were able to go up there some.  This was one of the only clinical sites that offer a place for the student to stay, so we experienced Bear Lake in the fall which was gorgeous! Ogden, Utah was next-- It was a demanding site in that Michael was always tired and often overwhelmed.  It was his first fast-paced hospital but he learned a lot.  It was closer to home so he was able to drive back a lot more.  Davies, Utah--  It was about the same distance from home, so we still got to see him a good bit.  Heber, Utah-- was the best.  It was the closest to home, and it wasn't very busy.  We got see a lot of Michael while he was there.  None of those clinical sites were too bad and then El Paso, Texas.  I had never been away from Michael for more than a week or so since the day we began dating.  And Texas meant not only was I going to be without his companionship for 3 weeks at a time, I also had two young kids and one on the way.  I forgot to mention that we became pregnant again with Logan in November of 2010.  So by the time he was going to Texas, I was 3 months away from having our 3rd baby and home alone with our other two.  It was definitely a growing experience.  I will forever be grateful to the friends that I have made.  During this time, having their friendship was a treasure because without them (and they definitely know who they are) I don't know if I would have fared very well at all.  A few weeks after the Texas rotation was over, we welcomed Logan into our family on July 2011.  This basically brings us to our present time of September.  Logan is 6 weeks old now and is such a joy to my heart.  Blackfoot, Idaho isn't so bad because we have the option of driving up and staying for however long we wish. (Many, many thanks to michael's mom and some awesome friends of ours who watch Phoebe for us! We really, really appreciate it!)  Michael has 3 more months left! Yes, you heard me right! 3 MORE MONTHS! ...and technically we are half way through September.  2 1/2 MONTHS LEFT! 


SO! What is next? a job and a move. But I have no update on that end yet.  My prayer is that we will find a good job that Michael likes and won't be over-worked and in a safe/family friendly place where it won't be too hot in the summers for the kids to play outside and on playgrounds, and a place where we can all find friends. It would be nice to be in a place where I can go back to school as well. ;)




--Random side thoughts--
It is simply amazing to me that we left MS with so little, and I feel like we have gained so much. We have definitely grown: from one kid to 3 kids. :) We have a two bedroom apartment that is crowded and full of stuff from over the past almost 3 years. :) We have made friends that I will miss so very much when we have to move from Utah.  


I suppose that old saying is true: Home is where the Heart is. I have never once felt home sick.  My home came with me.  I may miss my mom, dad, grandmother, and other family members so very much at times, but I have my little family and they are the most important thing no matter where we are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment