I was super excited about getting donuts, so when we got out of the canyon the next morning we drove to the donut shop. We drove up to the window, I was so happy about getting tasty donut holes, but my excitement was tinged when the young girl at the window says something like, "oh my, she's adorable" before I even get to finish ordering my 2 dozen donut holes. And no, she was not referring to Kailey. I don't know which is worse: someone telling a 23 year old with 3 kids that she looks 13 or looking at my 26 year old husband and asking if i'm "the daughter". Apparently I'm extremely young, Michael looks extremely old, or this girl is an innocent idiot. She goes on to apologize saying, "...everyone says I look young too. I hope I didn't offend you." Well missy, you did offend me and I don't care what people tell you. Instead of trying to smile and be nice, I should have given the girl a lecture on keeping your mouth shut about women's appearances especially in a work setting. You do not comment on someone's age! You just don't do it. It comes off extremely rude. A young girl doesn't want someone to say they look 30, and a 30 year old doesn't want someone to say they look 12. A fat woman doesn't need to hear, "oh you look great" when she knows she is fat. Same thing when commenting on someone you think is pregnant. If you aren't a close personal friend, don't ask if they are pregnant bc what if they are not? You would have just called a woman you didn't know, fat. Not cool.
In my personal defense, I had just come out of the canyon from a night of camping. No make-up and t-shirt does not do wonders for my 23 YEAR OLD SELF! And also, don't console by saying something like, "Oh, but you'll love it when you are 40 and people tell you that you look 20." I understand, but that does not mean that I want to hear it now reguardless.
Well, that is my tiny post about something so trivial it might not be worth reading. ;))
Haha, you are so funny! I used to get comments like that all the time. And people always act shocked when I tell them I'm over 30. Yes, it ticks me off depending on who it is. Seriously, people sometimes need to just keep their mouths shut :)
ReplyDelete