Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Grand Adventure into Baby Stuff.

I absolutely hate sounding like a "know-it-all".  So, for the most part... when I do know about something... I don't really speak up unless asked.  But hey, this is MY blog and I can sound however I want, right? ha

I find it so cute and humorous to hear all the new young moms on facebook talking about all the things they need or don't know if they need for their baby.  I was totally in their place almost 4 years ago with our first.  I remember walking into Babies R Us and thinking, "Oh, crap. What the heck do I need?" The place is huge and full of baby supplies.  Plus it can get pricey.  So, in light of all the facebook stuff I've been reading and not commenting on... I'd like to get all of my opinions out.  


Need/ Don't Need


Crib: Need. Although, baby won't usually sleep in it until he/she is a few months old.  Or at least, mine didn't. Plus, a crib is like the main center piece to a baby room; and we all know or can imagine how fun it is to decorate a baby room! Especially if it's your first baby!


Crib Mattrice and bedding: Of course. And it's fun picking it out.  Another good thing to get is a mattrice leak cover.  This will come in handy, trust me. ;)


Bassinet: I'd say Need.  Especially for the breastfeeding mother.  I breastfed both of ours and for the first few months when they wake up every few hours, it's way more convenient to have him/her right there by your bed. One thing to think about it the size.  Would you prefer one that is more like a permanent  fixture located next to your bed?  These are usually super pretty. Or, a smaller version that can be pushed to the living room? This all depends on the parents.  With Haiden I went big and pretty, but with Kailey I went for connivence.  I really liked how Kailey's could fold up for easy storage; it was great for our smaller apt.


Play-pen/Pack-N-Play: I'd say it really depends. With haiden, I rarely used one.  In our house, he roamed around... he never liked sitting in a play pen.  With Kailey, I still have one but it is in MS... so I haven't used one for her either.  BUT,  I did need one when we went on a trip.  You can't very well take the crib with you, and Kailey will not sleep good without being in a crib.  So I borrowed one for that trip.  They are good to have to take to grandparents houses or trips if your baby likes the crib.  Haiden never liked his crib or pack-n-play very much so he'd sleep with my parents or Michael's if we ever let him stay over-night at their house.  Don't get me wrong, he would have slept just fine in it, but they seemed to rather have him snuggle in bed with them.  So hopefully that helps.  It depends on the baby and the parents. If we go on another trip and take Kailey, i'll be needing one again bc she will not sleep good unless she's in her crib with her particular blanket. 


Dresser: Need. You are going to have to put clothes somewhere! :)


Changing Table: Don't Need. Some people may say different, but I've never had one.  I wanted one, of course.  They can look pretty in a baby room especially if it matches the crib, but would I have used it? I don't think so. They have these awesome diaper changing totes that can carry all the supplies needed to change a diaper.  Let's face it, unless you are a complete germ freak, you are probably going to change baby's diaper where ever. In the bed, on the couch, blah blah blah.  Are you really going to get up from the bed or off the couch, take baby into the room to change the diaper? Maybe.  But I always just had the diaper tote thing right there, or I'd yell for Michael to bring me a diaper. Or, I'd ask Michael to change it and then I'd go get the diaper. ha ha So, I'd say it's not technically needed.  If you have the money, and just want one... buy it.  But, if you are trying to spread your money out, then forget the changing table.  


Car Seat and Stroller: Need.  A newborn will need a rear facing car seat.  After the first year, baby will move into a forward facing car seat. In the stores they will have a set you can buy.  The set will come with the rear facing car seat, the base for the car seat, and the stroller.  They also sell these items individually.  Eventually, if you just have one baby, you'll find that an umbrella stroller is awesome bc it's smaller and convenient.  Once they are big enough, get one! I truly miss just having the tiny umbrella stroller. ;)


High Chair: Need, but not at first.  This is one of those items that can be bought when needed since the baby won't be eating table foods first. :) And there are so many different kinds that you can decide the size and type that best fits you and your baby's needs. 


Swing or Bouncer: I'd say Need. But, the deal is some babies will prefer one over the other or not at all. I like swings the best.  Haiden loved his swing.  Kailey only liked hers, and after she figured out how to crawl, she didn't want to do anything else but crawl and go. So here again, it's going to depend solely on the baby. 


Play gym/Arches: I'd say Need, but don't over do it.  Tummy time is important for all babies.  It helps them develop muscles which will lead to them rolling over, lifting their head, crawling, and sitting up.  Some babies absolutely hate tummy time and mom's complain.  But, it's important; and aches or gyms are the way to go if you need an extra something to help grab baby's attention.   Otherwise a blanket spread out, with toys all around will work just as well.  It depends yet again on your baby. 


Bath tub, wash cloths, hooded towels: all needs. But here again, don't over do it.  I always prefer the tubs that also come with a sling.  At first, you will want to use that type of support for the tiny newborn, but as time passes and baby learns to sit up, the bath tub will play more of a role.  With Haiden I got a cool bath tub.  With Kailey, I just bought a bath sling.  Our tub here is I suppose low would the word, or maybe not terribly deep.  I was able to sit by it and and comfortably bath her in the sling.  It was also convient with space.  It folded up and I haven't seen it since she started sitting up with ease. 


If you breastfeed your baby, then a breast pump, pads, nursing bra, bra liners are needed! In fact, even if you don't breastfeed, you will still need liners until your milk supply dries up.  But I personally had a great experience breastfeeding both of our kids.  Breastfeeding could be another post in and of itself, so I won't comment anymore.  Other than to say, I liked Medela brand (i think that's how you spell it).  Another thing one might need to remember is nipple ointment just in case.  ;)

OH! and I loved my boppy! Those are nice for both nursing the baby and even in propping the baby up. 

All the other needs are pretty basic. Diapers, wipes, baby clippers, bath supplies, clothes, onesies, socks, bottles, nipples, blankets, bibs... Everything truly just falls into place.  It's a world in and of itself.  I understand that it can feel overwhelming.  I was there, and remember.  But then, that world becomes understandable and you realize it's not so scary after all.  



My last bit of advise *** Birthing classes are pointless.  Just remember this: Breath through pain and push like you are truly pushing out the biggest poop of your life.  It's weird bc you'd think you would need to push toward the front.  But that's not it at all.  Bear down and push like you're using the bathroom.  There! Bam. Remember that and get the epidural.  There is always a chance some sort of problem can occur.  But, I promise the birthing classes go out the window when or if they occur.  Just Breath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment