At the start of 2016, we found ourselves in the middle of an Iowa winter. We were told it was a very mild winter, and yet we felt frozen for a good portion of the time. The wind here is no joke. We truly live somewhere that a beanie hat and winter gloves are a must. The wind can be a constant companion and in the winter it is a painful one to abide. We didn't meet many neighbors in the first few months of living here, and there were several moments where I felt the winter blues compound with homesickness for Liberty. Our kids integrated into the schools seamlessly and they made fast friends which helped the moving process feel less challenging.
In February, Michael and I celebrated our birthdays with the kids. Michael is thriving in his 2nd year in the 30's and looking forward to me joining him there. However, I just can't quit the 20's yet. We went on a fantastic 10 year anniversary trip to Kauai, and we fell in love all over again. I'm so glad we get to spend eternity together... even with my mood swings and his irritating gum chewing, we are still here thriving, sliding, and sometimes failing at life together. Together is the part that sees us through it all.
Spring arrived with warmer weather and eventually Summer made its appearance. We met new friends and explored our new area. There is a swimming pond with a small sand bar in our neighborhood--we played there a lot. We got a pool pass to the outdoor aquatic center in town, and did a good bit of fishing. With Michael's work schedule we had a lot of fun family time, and it turned out to be our most favorite summer we have had yet.
Our Kailey turned 6 in March and in August moved to 1st grade. She started taking ballet and jazz dance classes. Her laugh could claim even the hardest of souls with a smile, and those bright brown eyes hold an innocence that shines through everything. She has a sensitive side that isn't dominated by her goofy antics. By the end of the year she had lost 4 baby teeth total and is currently the cutest front toothless child I've ever seen. She broke her left arm (twice), but she is tough and brave. And while I hope she never again breaks a bone, I hope she will always remember how amazing she weathered the experience. If she forgets, we will be here to remind her.
Michael, Haiden, and I went on an adventure to Havasupia near the Grand Canyon. We were so proud of Haiden's hiking abilities. He pushed through the 10 mile hike without complaining. He hiked until he couldn't hike anymore, and then each day woke up to do it all again. We jumped through waterfalls and played in clear blue water. Who would have thought in the middle of a red canyon would be the most beautiful waterfalls with clear blue water? It was amazing and a very rewarding experience.
Logan turned 5 and learned to ride his bike nearly the same day. I don't know why that seemed surprising... this is the boy who learned to walk on the day of his birthday, so maybe riding his bike just made sense to him. He is so full of passion and enthusiasm. He loves his family and is always an active protector of Ella, annoying brother to Kailey, and willing wrestler/ninja against Haiden. He started Karate and has been working hard at it. In August, he started Kindergarten and has done so well.
Haiden turned 9. I can hardly believe our oldest is on his last year in the single digits. He has had quite the year. He made new friends easily and seemed to seamlessly move into a new classroom. His teacher commented that after the first few days it was as if he had always been there. He played soccer, became a strong swimmer over the summer, played flag football, and started taking a hip hop and tumbling class. He started 3rd grade at the upper elementary; which for him meant another new change. He has a great class this year full of all his friends and a great teacher. In the last part of the year, he managed to break his left leg in two places. It took a lot out of all of us as we had to watch him in pain and then slowly go through the healing process. Through it all he remained resilient and strong. He impressed us with his positive attitude. There were hard moments I saw him endure, and there were moments I know were hard at school... but without a doubt he should know by now he can do hard things.
Our little Ella turned 4. She is a great mixture of sweet and sassy. Her sweet demeanor and personality causes us to smile often. She is very smart and is looking forward to being a big girl at Kindergarten this coming year, but I think she has enjoyed her time at home too. I know I sure have, and I'm grateful our time isn't over yet. She could stay 4 forever and I would completely happy. She loves puzzles, dolls, and morning snuggles.
This year we have had our share of stress and trials. I feel almost as if the beginning of our year was so great that maybe we should have expected the rain at the end. But even through the rain, we endured and I think we have grown from our experiences. There was a moment in middle of the worst of it in October where all I felt around me was stress and darkness. No matter where I turned I'd see something or someone struggling whether through social media or in person. I learned in that moment that we shouldn't compare our stresses or problems with anyone else. One persons stress shouldn't be compared to another. My stress and problems were mine to endure and only I could tell their story. Belittling or even maximizing stress by comparing is something we should all avoid. I also learned about joy. It can be found in small and big moments. It can be found daily. I hope to take that with us into the new year, and always.
Joy finders.
We had a lot of good times and joy in 2016.
Joy finders.
We had a lot of good times and joy in 2016.
I am grateful for our family. I'm grateful for all Heavenly Father has given us thus far in our life. I hated more than anything to see our kids in pain this year. We wished we could take their place and take that pain from them... but even still I believe they learned more about themselves through the experience. We are better after enduring our trials if we but endure them well. Life isn't easy, but we can do hard things. And I have no idea what next year or the next 10 years will bring, but I'm grateful to be doing this thing called life with our family.
No comments:
Post a Comment