Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween 2014: The Lego Movie







 The Lego Movie
Halloween 2014

Everything. Is. Awesome! 



We love Halloween-- and this year, we had an awesome time being characters from The Lego Movie! Plus, Nana (Michael's Mom) was able to come and join in on our fun!  We started our evening in downtown liberty taking pictures and walking around the square collecting candy.  We enjoy going there because it is a great place to walk around and take pictures before the night of trick or treating begins! 




Unikitty and Emmet



Virtruvous and Good Cop Bad Cop




The square was a lot of fun! Then we headed back to our neighborhood for some good ole fashion trick or treating!! 



It was very cold-- so we decided to drive around in the mini v. We took out some seats so everyone could jump in and out with ease, and piled in! I think everyone could hear us comin' because we were jammin' to Everything is Awesome (The Lego Movie theme song).

In case you haven't heard the song click below: 



It was cool to drive up with music so loud that people would stop to watch with curiosity as our doors opened and we each hopped out of the van. 


We finished our night up with our tradition of eating at Waffle House! 




Here is a fun look at each of our costumes in comparison to the actual characters:


Wyldstyle ended up being the easiest costume to make.  
I designed and then ironed the designs on the jacket and pants. Virtruvius was a little more complicated as I made the robe and cape.  One night early in the month, we had a fun tye-dye night with the kids.  After experimenting, I made virtruvius's shirt which I felt very proud of! Michael made the shoes-- he found some white shoes at walmart, dyed them green, and then used a marker to make the black spots. And probably one of the harder aspects of his costume was the staff.  Michael spent a long time carving out a crystal-like design and then used a pvc pipe for the staff. 

Emmett was so fun! I think Haiden made an awesome Emmet.  Michael ordered an orange astronaut costume that I used for a base.  I removed every part that didn't suit our needs which included some patches and even the sleeves. I had to resize the legs which worked out perfectly because I needed extra material for the belt loops. I ordered reflective sewing tape to sew on and that was what really gave this costume it's defining look. A belt, black shoes, and a vinyl iron on name badge later and his costume was complete!  Oh, and I ordered temporary brown hair color spray at his request. He had to have brown hair-- and he was right! It looked... well, awesome! 


Kailey's Unikitty costume was a bit intense. I had to do a lot of eye ball measuring and even hand sewing (and I HATE hand sewing).  Its base is made of cardboard and covered with fabric.  To complete her look we dyed some shoes yellow, made blue mittens, created a blue tail, bought a pink shirt and pink pants. 


Lego Logan Batman! We originally thought this costume would be the easiest! Order a batman costume and done, right? Well, we couldn't find a batman costume that we liked.  So I found some black material and a couple different adult batman costumes.. I took those apart and created one more to our liking. 


Good Cop Bad Cop was the hardest. It was made completely from a black piece of fabric.  I had never made a costume without a starting point before... I literally looked at the picture of Good Cop Bad Cop and thought, "Now how do I make this look like a cute girl?" I learned a great deal during it's creation and I was very happy with how it turned out! Plus, Ella loved it. We bough a police helmet and spray painted it black which she even wore the entire time! 


Michael's mom came to join us and looked fantastic as well! 
Hands down the best Crazy Cat Lady, right? Her wig was awesome! 






No comments:

Post a Comment