We went to Utah for a week!
It was a lot of fun to see family, meet a tiny new nephew, camp/hike in Zions, shop, and just hang out.
We drove straight through to Utah.
The picture above is what the back of the van looked like starting out on our journey.
The week before our trip we had a virus going around our family. Everyone was sick at one point except for Michael and Ella. I had high hopes that it would pass before it was time for us to leave. Poor K was still a tad sick when we left though. On our way there, she proved it by puking in our van. Luckily, by Monday she was back to herself. | We made shirts: "McGowan Family Trip 2014" on the back and a small picture of the state of Utah on the front. |
On our first day we went to a park, played and sat around outside with family. The weather was perfect and I think the kids really enjoyed themselves. Later, we went by Bridal Falls.
We took an afternoon to visit Temple Square and City Creek Mall.
We went shopping and took the scenic route from Salt Lake City back down through Heber.
So determined to feel better and to hike, he gave himself an IV on the way.
He is one tough man... I don't know how he managed to stick himself, but he did. And it really did help a lot. He managed to hike half of the east rim trail, before doubling over with sickness. He ended up spending most of the first day in Daniel's cool hammock.
Thankfully, he awoke the next morning feeling much, much better.
And just look at these happy camper faces!
These precious smiles and bright eyes made the whole trip worth it!
This is a view from the east rim trail... remember how I mentioned Michael was sick? This is a strong to testament to how much he wanted to feel better and to hike, and I suppose no one should blame him for being so determined-- just look at that view behind us! This is also the same view that I tried to get Haiden and Logan to take a picture together. It almost ended in disaster when Logan stubbornly decided to tell us "No" and began backing away toward the edge! Needless to say, my heart almost stopped. And little Logan didn't end there with causing us heart troubles. The next morning while everyone was packing up camp Logan was sitting in a camp chair finishing breakfast. I walk up to help Kailey with her clothes, and in a sudden moment that I will never forget Logan falls out of his chair and into the smoldering camp fire. I screamed and felt like I was moving in slow motion trying to get to him. I truly believe the Lord was with him because he was not hurt. His jacket sleeve melted, but he was he fine. We are eternally grateful that it was his covered arm that landed on the burnt wood and smoldering coals that morning!
After a first day and morning like that I personally almost had all the camping my heart could take, but we thanked Heavenly Father for Michael and Logan's health, prayed for a safe day, and kept on going. And, we are all so glad we did!
We hiked the Narrows which was amazing. I have to take a moment and brag on our boys. We originally thought Haiden and Kailey would be the ones to hike, so we rented the big water shoes and wonderfully awesome wet socks for them. Well, Logan insisted on walking the riverside trail all the way to the beginning of the Narrows, and then demanded that he walk through the narrows. Kailey didn't mind at all (she rode happily in a pack on Uncle Daniel's back) and luckily their feet are similar in size. We put the water shoes on Logan and off he went with no problems through the water. I'm not sure how far we hiked through the Narrows, but the riverwalk trail was 1.5 miles which means that Logan had to have walked at least 2 miles and some of that through cold water. After we stopped for lunch, we made him hop in a pack for the rest of the Narrows adventure. ;)
Haiden hiked the whole way there and back out as well. We knew he could do it, so that really isn't why I would brag on him, but it is the way he carried himself on the way back. He was so very tired and we knew his feet and legs were aching, but he didn't fuss at all. He just kept on going.
After our adventurous trip to Zions, we left and spent our next few days visiting with friends. Michael and I went on a date Friday night. We met up with an awesome couple of friends for a movie and dinner. It was so fun chatting and catching up--I didn't know 2 couples could talk for as long as we did and in all honesty, I think we could have kept it up all night. That night Michael and I stayed at the Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake. I wish I would have had my camera so that I could have taken a picture of us with our friends and of that amazing hotel. Saturday we met up some more friends and enjoyed their company too!! I love that we made lasting friendships when we lived in Utah, and I love that we still get see some of them when we come back to visit.
![]() |
| Haiden with Aiden his best friend in Utah. |
On Sunday we decided to break our drive home up and left for the Red Rocks in Colorado.
![]() |
| It is amazing how many things can change in 5 years! Sadly, Emma missed the new picture. But, she is alive and well living in MS with her Meme right now. |









No comments:
Post a Comment