Sunday, November 18, 2012

Ella Paige McGowan

Ella Paige McGowan
November 15, 2012
10:30 AM
7 lbs; 19 in
Ella's Birth Story:

At 37 weeks, I was dilated to 3cm and 80% effaced.  I started experiencing real contractions around this time, but held off going to the hospital each time I thought they were getting bad because my mom had not yet arrived. She was Plan A for watching our other kids in my delivery plan. After she arrived, the contractions wained off.  My mom's aniexty as to when or if Ella would arrive while she was here took control.  We went to our 38 week check up on November 13 with high hopes of good news.  Ella looked great in terms of upcoming labor.  We got membranes stripped and I measured at 4 cm. After explaining our situation with our doctor about Michael being off the entire week and my mom having to leave sunday morning, he asked the on call dr if he would induce us on Saturday morning which would mark 39 weeks and the first opportunity for an induction.  The wonderful doctor said yes even though they don't usually schedule induction on the weekends.



The next day, we woke up early and went to Watkins Mill State Park determined to find a good hike and with any hope "walk the baby out." We walked 3.75 miles around the lake in which I also pushed the stroller carrying Logan and either Kailey or Haiden. This was tough especially given the fact the it is hilly here. I toughed through some intense hills and walked through painful contractions as they started half way through the hike. Once back from the hike and home, the contractions didn't stop but at the same time weren't "drop to my knees" painful.  I find it really, really hard to decide when to go to the hospital for contractions.  My pain tolerance is high, so I have a hard time deciding, but that evening I was fed up being pregnant and ready for the hospital to admit me.  So, we decided to give it a shot.  The worst that could happen was them sending me home. The only real problem is if you are less the 39 weeks exactly, they will not help you progress at all. It all depends on my body and consistant, active contractions which at that point I wasn't very confident in their strength. I measured at 5 cm when we arrived.  I was offered to walk around, but refused.  My poor legs and feet wouldn't have made it through more walking. An hour passed with consistant contractions and upon checking again I was at 5.5 cm.  A change is all it took to be admitted! =) After a full 2 and half hours passed as I was 6cm.  The nurses picked up their pace and soon I had my epidural and was sitting happily watching a duck dynasty marathon. The night wore on and I didn't progress much. The next morning, I began to progress and before the dr came around to break my water I was at 8cm. Once I was at 10cm around 10:20am, we began to push. Around 5 to 10 mins later Ella entered the world and our lives at 10:30am exactly.


We listen to her sweet crying the entire time the nurse assessed Ella. She was given a 9 out of 10 score and came home with no jaundice! None of our kids had to come home with jaundice equipment to be monitored  but they all came home needing to be rechecked at the hospital.  Ella has been our only one to be clear from the get-go.   


 
She was happy after her hospital bath! And, dad did a great job taking pictures! 



We feel so very blessed to finally have Ella in our arms. She is so sweet and cuddly! I can see all of our other kids in her at different times, especially the boys. Her demeanor feels the same as Haiden's when he was baby.  I can see Logan in her especially when she cries or gives me a "not nice" look. 



We all love Ella and are so excited to have her in our family...


especially her big sister! Kailey's eyes lit up when they came into the hosptial room to visit.  They were all so happy to meet Ella, but you could almost just feel and see excitement coming off Kailey. 



Logan was so funny.  He kept pointing and laughing. He's say "Look" over and over. 




How precious are these feet? ;)


We were getting ready to leave and miss Ella decided to go all "girl" on us.  She had a "moment" in which she had to be held and comforted after being woken from her sleep to be changed into a new diaper and outfit. 




I love these pictures though. It's a great moment to see Michael holding and comforting her while we patiently waited for her to calm down.  These pictures also show her hair color very good. Her hair is basically the same color as her brothers.  


After she calmed, we put her in her car seat. It was so funny to see her reaction to the new place.  Her eyes got really big as she looked all around.



She looked liked a little baby doll all wrapped up as we left the hospital for home. :)




Once we arrived home big brother Haiden had a big surprise for us that was all his idea...

We had a "Welcome home/Birthday Party" in honor of Ella from her big brother and sister!




How awesome is this card? And how lucky is Ella? 
She has three sibling that love her!

I will never forget their excitement as we drove up. 
 All three of kids met us at the door.
They were so ready to have us home and so happy to celebrate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment