I have loved living in Utah. I am so very happy we were able to leave Mississippi. I never want to live there again, but it will still always be home. When I get off the plane in the Jackson airport, I feel an instant love for the state in which I grew up, but as I step outside to feel that sticky humidity and begin swatting at bugs left and right that love quickly becomes replaced by the happiness of my visit being just that, a visit. I love the quote by Kathryn Stockett author of The Help:
"Mississippi is like my mother. I am allowed to complain about her all I want, but God help the person that raises an ill word about her around me, unless she is their mother too."
I have been asked several times if we want to move back home or south once Michael is done with school, and I always respond quickly by saying, "No. I love the south, but no I don't want to go back to MS." But, if someone decides to speak an ill word about good ol'e Mississippi, I usually say something like: "Well it really isn't the worst place. It's home. And, I miss the trees." Deep down I'm southern born and will always love the south, but that doesn't mean I have to live there for the rest of my life.
I have loved living in Utah and experiencing the western part of the United States. It's been great! It has opened my eyes to better places. There is so much more to do as far as recreational activity. I have grown to really enjoy camping and hiking. The outdoors is really nice when the weather is favorable and bugs are manageable. Summer and also winter seasons are full of activity. The snow is beautiful. I had never experienced real -powder- snow until we moved, and if I have a choice I don't want to live somewhere without a season of snow.
The people here are most definitely different, but not in a bad way. Walmart is a very pleasant experience and even yes, going through the McDonalds drive thru is nice. Just yesterday (and I'm technically in Idaho right now), I went to walmart and accidentally left two of bags at the check out station. I got all the way to my car and turned around to see the check out girl running to me with my bags. Okay, now not everyone here would do what she did... but all in all there are so many nice people who would do that here.
I'm going to miss Utah. We still have no idea where we will be moving next as Michael is still job searching, but it is not going to be Utah. There just isn't any jobs available in this state, and even if there were, most of those jobs work you a ton. We are looking for a job that offers good hours, doesn't require being on call a ton, and is in a safe/family friendly place. And personally, I would love to move somewhere new. I would love to see how the other side of U.S differs from the west and south.
If you are close to us, please keep us in your prayers. We need a job, and not just any... we need a good one. So pray that we will be able to find just what we are needing.
You guys will definitely be in our prayers! I totally know what you mean about the south...Nick even more then me! :) I definitely miss the trees, but the bugs and oh that humidity, not so much! You guys are great and I hope things fall into place for you! Let me know if you need any help with Phoebe or anything else! :)
ReplyDelete