Emma.
As silly as it may sound to some people, I get teary eyed each time I look at these pictures and think of our dog. I will never forget the moment I saw her. My Uncle had a litter of Sharpei puppies, and let me say I literally knew she was mine the moment I saw her. I could feel it. And so my begging commenced... and as soon as she was eating puppy food, I picked her up and bought her home. That was in 2004. I had recently started dating Michael and it seems like a lifetime ago when we were sitting in my room holding her and trying to decide on a name.
Our sweet Emma girl was there from the very beginning. She saw our very best and worst moments. She was always in the background, waiting happily at home through high school, through vacation trips, and many life changing moments. She was there in my bedroom when I cried or laughed myself to sleep. Emma was a constant bright spot in my life when I needed one so very badly. She moved with me from my Mom's house to my Dad's house. She even lived with Michael for a bit. She was the first thing Michael and I shared that we both loved, besides each other.
She was there in our home waiting when we brought Haiden home from the hospital.
And, they became the best of friends. Never can anyone say that a Sharpei isn't friendly with kids, because we knew Emma. Our special family dog. She quit sleeping in my bed, and moved to Haiden's bed.
I'll never forget that Christmas when she stuck her nose in the fireplace coals-- she surely burnt it and turned half her nose forever pink. She'd keep us up snoring, but loved to play. She loved Michael's attention. She would just lay in his lap, legs up as he scratched her belly.
I'll never forget that Christmas when she stuck her nose in the fireplace coals-- she surely burnt it and turned half her nose forever pink. She'd keep us up snoring, but loved to play. She loved Michael's attention. She would just lay in his lap, legs up as he scratched her belly.
We eventually moved to Utah. For a short while until we settled in the new state, Emma lived with my Dad. Our Emma was affectionate and protective. On one of my trips back home, I came right over to my Dad's house to see her. It was late and when I ran toward her she was not the only dog to jump towards me. That scar on her face was a gift from my dad's German Shepard whom she attacked for such an offense. That night when I saw her face bleeding, I screamed and cried. I felt so guilty for my unexpected and surprising arrival that ended so painfully. Luckily she didn't have to live there anymore....that was the moment Emma moved from my Dad's house to my Mom's house.
We missed her so much.
We made this huge road/camping trip to get our dog back. We met my Mom and Steve in Texas to pick her up and bring her home. That was hands down one of our most favorite trips!
| After Emma moved back to MS, we found Haiden a "best dog friend" replacement. This oversized sharpei stuffed animal served its purpose well, although we missed the real one so very much. |
We spent the next year camping and exploring our new home-- Emma was there for it all. Until the day came when we realized our life was too hectic for our Emma girl. Michael was in school and we were looking at moving to a different apartment and soon our little family would grow by 1 more baby and then we would experience off campus clinical sites that would take us traveling.
We looked at that dog and cried.
We tried to figure out what to do, and after praying we thought of Meme all the way in the MS. It took some persuasion, but Meme agreed to keep her for us.
It was truly a blessing!
The day when we took our Emma girl to the airport for her flight to MS was so hard. I cry now just thinking about it. I hoped so much that she wouldn't feel abandoned or betrayed. We truly did try to keep her with us and we always thought we would bring her back home to be with us again one day. The 3 year plan turned into 5 years...
She grew fat and happy....
She charmed her Meme and I think she found a special place in her heart, just as she had a special place in ours.
And, I believe she was happy in her country home.
Thank you Emma for all the memories. Thank you for being a great dog. Thank you for being there for us, ever in the background of Michael and I's beginning. Thank you for your service in protecting Meme and her home. I hear you did a fanatic job! I feel sad that we were not there with you in your last moments, but I know you were happy where you lived. I hope you never felt abandoned by us. I hope you knew we loved you. You were one of kind, and we will miss you.
Prissy Emma Belle
February 2004 - January 2015





No comments:
Post a Comment