Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Life is speeding up..

Life is definitely speeding up... and that will ultimately bring speed bumps.  Speed bumps that could be both good and bad.  They could hurt and feel enjoyable.  Right now this speed bump is Emma, our dog.


Michael is now in his second semester of CRNA school, which is one of the hardest if not the hardest semesters for him.  And within that semester we are moving to a new area and apartment and having a baby girl in March.  A lot of changes are heading our way... the first change along this particular path is seeing Emma on a plane to MS.  It's hard to really describe without tearing up.  This dog has been with us since the beginning.  She was our first dog... all the more tramatic events and changes in my life have been experienced with Emma somewhere in the background.  It may sound silly but she is through and through our dog.  She has a very stubborn side, has lost all her wrinkles, runs wild when accidently let loose, sneezes and snorse like a man at night... but we love her, and will surely miss her.  I'm not even completely sure I knew how much until now.  Writing this brings back so many memories both good and bad.


But the facts are all out.  And this moment was coming either now or in August when Michael starts clinicals.  There was never any doubt in our minds that 2 babies and a big Emma Girl would just not work out in those conditions.


The one thing that makes me feel okay is that a undeniable peace comes over me when I think about all of this.  We recently we back to MS.  We drove and took Emma with us, and while we were down there both Michael and I had a thought to leave her in the care of someone in our family.  We ignored this feeling.  Later as we started to look for apartments in the Provo/Orem area, we found an apartment complex in which we both felt good about, it accepted pets, and was in our budget.  We were told that the weight limit was 35lbs, and thought that would work out since Emma is a small for her breed and weighed about that when she came with us back to Utah.  Unfortunately this didn't work out the way we had planned.  Through a series of circumstances, that weight limit was changed and starting to go into affect was a new 30 lb. weight limit.  But the real underlining fact is this particular apt. goes by breed.  And by breed,  a Chinese Shar Pei can weigh between 35-45 sometimes 50 lbs.


In addition to this, about 2 weeks before I found another dog.  A white Schnauzer; a dog that I have been personally wanting for over a year or more.  She was found and put on KSL.com for free.  I am in no way saying that this dog will replace Emma.  She couldn't in a million years.  Our Emma Girl is one of a kind.  Haiden truly loves Emma and has welcomed Phoebe ("fee-bee") as well.   It was strange how the exact dog that I had been looking for appeared one day online and I happen to see and was the first to call.  I think Phoebe must have been meant to be in some ways.  At least we will have her to help with the transition.


So, taking these three things into account... and after prayer, it is obvious to us that this is our path.  And just maybe there is an unforeseen reason why Emma needs to leave us now instead of August.


A bright spot is the fact Meme, Michael's Grandmother, is willing to watch over her for us is such a blessing.  In this situation, we at least know where Emma will be and can have a hope that she will be okay.  As I said, she is stubborn and tends to run away like a devil dog when let out of the house without a leash, so we fully expect this to happen.  In fact, it's probably unstoppable.  A part of me thinks though that with country freedom, maybe upon getting loose... she will realize what a blessing being able to be in the house is.  I do hope that when she does get loose, she will not get hurt.  Time will only tell...


We have never shipped a dog anywhere and I hope all will go well with her as she travels back to MS, and a new chapter in all our lives begins.




* I feel as though I am rambling on about a dog and sounding like one those crazy dog fanatics.  Hopefully not.  Hopefully, I simply sound like someone who finally experienced having a dog that truly became a part of my life.  Thank you so much Meme for being our blessing and taking care of Emma.  I don't know what we would do without you in this circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment